The Gloucester Docks mark the point where the Challenge leaves the River Severn
Although there has been some dock activity probably since at least Roman times in Gloucester, the Docks as seen today have a more recent history. The Main Basin being the original terminus for the ship canal from Sharpness which was opened in 1827. The prime use of the dock being to permit cargoes to be loaded onto smaller craft and thus continue up the River Severn to the Midlands via both the Severn itself and the Birmingham and Worcester Canal and the Staffordshire and Worcester Canals
Vessals upto 600 Tonnes could use the Dock, and it was commercially active right into the 1960's after which time trade gradually diminished. The final trade ceasing in 1985 when the Quedgeley petroleum depot closed.
The Docks are now widely used by leisure craft with several marina facilities available.
Many of the old Warehouses have found new uses either as Shops, Resturants, a Museum, and Antique Centre being amongst what has now become a major Tourist attraction.
Frequent visits are made to the Docks by Historic Ships including many Tall ships.
Page design by Downs Associates
© BB Severn Challenge Nov 2018
website origninally published January 2017
update May 2020
hosting by Downs Associates