Equipment – Other
Whilst Canoeing you will require the following equipment:-
- Paddle/s - nothing “technical” needed.
- Personal Buoyancy Aid (MUST always be worn on – or near water).
- Spray deck for Kayak – over a 6 hour period a lot of drips can get in a boat!
- You MUST be competent to escape from capsize with Spray deck fitted!
- Dry Bags / or waterproof plastic box – one each for:-
- Spare / Extra Clothing (See Clothing List)
- Boat First Aid Kit (see notes)
- Lunch – soggy sandwiches taste horrible!
- Plus for Adult Leaders
- Mobile Phone
- Car Keys – very important if of the electronic variety!
- Emergency Contact Card (provided by Challenge)
- First Aid Kit (one each Boat, see First Aid Notes)
- Personal Medication needed during day e.g. Asthma Inhaler
Keep Medicines taken morning or evening with kit at Base.
- If you are allergic to Insect Bits / Stings
Antihistamine cream or tablets
- Towel – (Bath size!)
- Sun Cream / Lip Cream – Waterproof versions!
- River License (per Boat – see other notes)
- Water Bottle – at least 1 ltr required each day on water.
- Thermos Flask (optional – but we will make available hot water / coffee / tea)
Make sure that ALL Equipment has a indelible, waterproof labelling showing who owns it (i.e. BB Company or personal name)
For each “Flotilla” there will also be needed:
- River Map (For each day’s Paddle) - see downloads from this website.
- Tow Line
- Mobile Phone
At Disembarkation Points and at Rapid (below Iron Bridge)
- Throw line for use by Shore Party
This will be organised by Challenge Organisation.
Page design by Downs Associates
© BB Severn Challenge Nov 2018
website origninally published January 2017
update May 2020
hosting by Downs Associates